Software used in creating the Neo Ports Manager
These are the programs and tools that have been pressed into service in writing NPM.
- Vi iMproved
- My faithful text editor, so far all of NPM code has been written using Vim 7.x on my laptop. Most of this website was aslo written using Vim 6.3 on a Fedora Core Linux server.
- All development of NPM has been done on a PC-BSD powered laptop. PC-BSD is a Desktop User oriented system that uses FreeBSD under the hood along with the K Desktop Environment.
- My PC-BSD installation operates largely as a FreeBSD 6-STABLE system it is also the major target platform of NPM. NPM is optimized for PC-BSD users in mind but is only dependant upon FreeBSD's ports and packages systems for its host operating system.
- NPM uses the Subversion repository provided by SourceForge for all of it's needs in place of the also offered CVS Repository.
- The Neo Ports Manager is written using the Python Programming Language. A very powerful multi-paradigm cross platform language. Currently Python 2.5 is used although 2.4 might work
- Qt Toolkit
- NPM uses the Qt Open Source Edition from Trolltech, currently Version 3.3 using the PyQT bindings, a port to PyQT4 is planned as soon as it is practical, e.g. KDE4 becomes the norm for KDE users on FreeBSD and KDE4/Qt4 + Python bindings become included with PC-BSD out of the box.